For many Word Press bloggers adding an opt-in form to build their list is a daunting task.
It really does not have to be. I have developed 12 easy steps to get the job done and a little insurance policy in case you do not get the results you wanted.
Even the most experienced people can run into a problem, so before editing a file ALWAYS copy and paste the original code into notepad so you can restore it if necessary.
I am using WordPress blog in my example, but it can be done in other formats as well.
The idea here is that you are changing the sidebar and adding functionality.
First you have to have access to an autoresponder or mailing list script. You can find free autoresponder services just by doing a Google search. People with their own domain can typically have their host install a mailing list script or purchase one and do it themselves.
Either way, once you have signed up for the service you need, the steps are pretty much the same.
Login to your "back office / Admin area" set up the list according to the instructions provided from the service you are using.
- choose generate code
- copy the code into notepad
- save your code as AR code added to blog (that way you can find it again if you need to)
- login to the admin area of your blog
- Go to Presentation / Theme Editor
- on the right side you will see – sidebar (or sidebar.php) click on that link
- This will open the code that controls your sidebar.
- Open another notepad and copy and paste the code from sidebar.php into notepad. This is your insurance, if things do not work right, you can just paste this code back into sidebar.php and save … you'll be no worse for the wear.
- open your AR code, select all and copy
- go back to your blog and in sidebar.php you will see this in the code:
<div id = sidebar> <ul> <div class = mobile-ad-container> <script async src = https: //translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c? depth = 1 & amp; hl = en & amp; ie = UTF8 & amp; pok = 1 & amp; prev = _t & amp; rurl = translate.google.com & amp; sl = en & amp; sp = nmt4 & amp; tl = en & amp; u = http: //pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js& usg = ALkJrhid_Y0PNjLlZMyXG11D0gIf- rDvMQ> </ script> <! – 0-Test Responsive -> <ins class = adsbygoogle style = display: block data-ad-client = ca-pub-3754405753000444 data-ad-slot = 4795413898 data-ad-format = horizontal> </ ins> <script> (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || ). push (); </ script> </ div> <li> Paste your AR code right after that </ li> <li> Click "update file" at the bottom of the page to save your changes. </ li> Congratulations you have just added an opt-in form to the top of the sidebar on your blog. Now go view your blog to make sure things look and work correctly. If there is a problem, do not panic … Remember you have your own sidebar.php code in notepad. Just go back to step 6 to find sidebar.php and paste your original code back in place and click "update file" your blog will then be back to the way it was before you started the edit. </ Ul> </ div>