Freelance software development can be a difficult talk to those person who do not know how deal with it. You do not need to be an expert in all areas of information technology like software programming, content management system or CMS, graphics designs, link building, or the like.
So then, what must a good freelance developer possess? First, let us discuss the attributes of a good freelance developer. Then I will guide you to the basic steps you need to know.
Attributes of a Good Freelance Developer
1. Honest. "Honesty is the best policy", you should always tell the truth to your clients. Do not bid on projects that you do not know. You should first read all the requirements of a project and make a brief research with it. Our friend Google will help you. Remember, you are doing business with clients, and unsatisfied customer will only worsen your reputation.
2. Trustworthy. You should build your reputation in every client. If the clients trust you, they will give you more and more projects.
3. Disciplined. A freelance developer does not have direct employer or boss to work with. But this does not mean you do not have deadlines to meet; instead you should manage your time well. Before starting a project, just tell honestly with your clients on how long it will take the job to be done. Thus, you must discipline yourself to finish it on time. As a freelance developer, you have a flexible time; just tell your clients your available time to work on their project.
4. Be Professional. You should communicate with your clients regularly. If you have a personal work to do, do not hang your clients. Tell them before you go offline. One email message will do.
I assume that you are a beginner in software or website development. These are the 3 steps before doing a freelance programming job.
1. Choose a programming language. Initially, you must focus only in one programming language. Open source technology like PHP & MySQL has a high demand now in freelance outsourcing market. Also content management systems like Joomla, WordPress and Drupal very help in building professional websites.
2. Download sample programs. Learning by example is a rapid way to learn programming language. I also recommend YouTube videos in learning a programming language.
3. Modify and improve it. Once you have downloaded a sample program, experiment with it. Try to study how the codes work and make an improvement.